The new school year is starting up and here at Moovit we wish all students good luck!
Muni and VTA are adding and adjusting service in order to support students taking public transit to school and prevent overcrowding. Continue reading for details.
To find the best route to school, use Moovit’s trip planner with real-time and service alerts. Plan your trip in advance by setting your desired departure/arrival time.
Muni has made a lot of changes to support the new school year. Many routes will have added service to support additional riders. route 28R returns to service and additional routes have been adjusted to support all riders.
- The 28R bus returns! The 28R 19th Avenue Rapid will run on weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., every 12 minutes. Combined with the 28 19th Avenue, service on the corridor will be every six minutes.
- As part of the 29 Sunset Improvement Project, 11 stops will be removed in each direction on the 29 Sunset to make trips quicker and improve reliability. The 29 Sunset’s northern terminal will also change to 25th Avenue and California Street after 10 p.m.
- With the return of the 28R 19th Avenue Rapid, the 28 19th Avenue will see a decrease in weekday frequency from every 10 minutes during morning and evening peaks to 12 minutes all day. Combined weekday frequency with the 28R 19th Avenue Rapid will be every six minutes.
- To address crowding on the 14R Mission Rapid during the early morning and afternoon school hours, peak frequencies are shifting to more closely match demand. More frequent morning service will start at 6 a.m. and school service will ramp up around 2 p.m.
- The 31 Balboa will extend to Townsend and 4th (Caltrain) with eight new stops on weekdays only to make it easier to get to the South Bay.
- The 38 Geary service to Geary and 32nd Avenue will see an increase in service 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on weekends to address evening crowding. The frequency 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. on weekends will decrease from 10 minutes to 20 minutes.
- The southern terminal for the 19 Polk in the Hunters Point Shipyard will change to Donahue & Innes, from Galvez Avenue at Hill Drive. All current stops on the line will continue to be served and the terminal will be in a location with better lighting to prioritize operator and passenger safety.
- The 30 Stockton will go back to terminating at Sports Basement (Crissy Field) until 8 p.m. The northern terminal after 8 p.m. will be on Divisadero at Chestnut.
- Inbound (16448) and outbound (16449) stops on Sloat at 43rd Avenue served by the 18 46th Avenue and 23 Monterey will be discontinued as part of the Sloat Quick Build Project.
- The 6 Parnassus inbound stop at Parnassus/Hillway (15892) will go out of service due to long-term construction.
- The 91 3rd Street/19th Avenue Owl inbound stop at North Point and Larkin (15465) will be removed due to long-term construction.
- The 48 Quintara/24th Street pilot reroute and eastern terminal change to 22nd at Iowa will be made permanent and will also apply to the 48 Owl. One weekday bus will be added to the 48 Quintara/24th Street to address crowding.
- To improve reliability without sacrificing frequency on the 57 Park Merced, we are adding a bus on weekdays from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. This will allow the line to continue providing service every 20 minutes while contending with severe traffic congestion along the route. Weekend frequencies will change to 25 minutes from 20 minutes to account for additional running time in light of congestion.
- The 55 Dogpatch will decrease in frequency from 15 minutes to 20 minutes to account for additional running time due to due to congestion and construction on 16th Street.
Summer vacations are coming to an end and August Service Changes are going into effect. The following bus service changes will take effect on Monday, August 14, 2023. We are adjusting many running times to respond to increased traffic conditions. There will be no changes to light rail service. Be sure to check the updated schedules so you don’t miss your bus!
Bus Route 51H will be discontinued due to low ridership.
Route 51 will be improved to operate every 30 minutes all day between Moffett/Ames and De Anza College, and every 60 minutes between De Anza College and West Valley College. All trips will serve Truman & Bryant in both directions, there will no longer be service on Grant Rd. between Fremont Ave. and Bryant Ave. A later southbound trip will be added leaving Moffett/Ames at 7:37 p.m.
Bus Route 255 New school-day route to offer more direct service between Fremont High School and north Sunnyvale via Fair Oaks and Remington.
Bus Route Rapid 500 Weekday and weekend schedule adjustments will be made in advance of the September 11 BART service changes.
SCVMC Shuttle The 4:32 p.m. trip will be moved 2 minutes later.
Major Weekday Schedule Changes: 66, 68
Other Schedule Changes: 20, 21, 27, 40, 44, 52, 53, 55, 56, 57, 59, 60, 61, 71, 72, 73, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 246, Rapid 522, Rapid 523, Rapid 568
You Ride, We Guide,
The USA Moovit Team