FASTRACK is a subway maintenance, cleaning, and repair program that shuts down segments of a subway line for several hours over consecutive weeknights, allowing our employees to perform a number of critical maintenance jobs. The line shutdown approach has proven successful in that, under normal conditions in our 24/7 system, the scope and breadth of this important work would be impossible to accomplish with customers and trains moving through work areas. Thus far, since FASTRACK began in 2012, the results have had a positive impact on service with a reduction in train delays and a decrease in the number of track fires, while realizing cost efficiencies and a lower accident rate for employees.
FASTRACK tasks typically include:
• Track – remove debris and repair or replace tie blocks and running rails.
• Third Rail Operations – clean and remove debris from under and around the third rail.
• Signals – perform general maintenance on signals and switches and replace dispatcher holding lights.
• Infrastructure – repair or replace handrails, signs, and tunnel lighting. Clean track drains and repair water damage/leaks.
• Electronic Maintenance – optimize performance of closed-circuit television monitors and cameras. Inspect and test public address system equipment.
• Station Environment – perform high-intensity station cleaning and painting as well as perform elevator and escalator repair work. Clean vents and drains.
No trains between Dyckman St and 96 St
FASTRACK begins weeknights at 10 PM and ends 5 AM the next morning. This service change will run nightly, Monday to Friday, from March 28 – April 1 and April 4 – 8. Read on for more information.
Take and free shuttle buses
How will trains operate?
service operates in two sections as follows:
- Between 242 St and Dyckman St.
(Dyckman St-bound – trains skip 207 St.)
- Between South Ferry and 96 St and via the between 96 St and 148 St.
(Trains skip the 145 St station in both directions)
What are the travel alternatives?
- Transfer between the to/from the Bronx and the at Dyckman St via free shuttle buses.
- Transfer between the to/from South Ferry and the at 59 St-Columbus Circle.
- For stations in Washington Heights, Harlem, and the Upper West Side, use nearby stations along Ft Washington Av, St Nicholas Av, and Central Park West instead, and/or take free shuttle buses available at stations.
- Transfer between free shuttle buses and trains at Dyckman St and , 168 St , and 96 St .
Free shuttle buses operate on three routes:
- Along Broadway between the 96 St and 168 St stations, making stops at 103 St, Cathedral Pkwy (110 St),116 St, 125 St, 137 St, 145 St, and 157 St.
- Along St Nicholas Av between the 168 St and the 191 St stations, stopping at 181 St.
- Dyckman St loop between and stations.