The annual Christmas lights switch-on will take place tonight, Thursday 14th November at Deansgate, near the Cathedral.
7.30pm to 8.30pm
Thousands of people are expected to attend the free celebration with stars of music, stage and screen providing the entertainment.
If you are travelling on the night, it is advised that you use public transport to get to and from the event.
A number of roads will be closed for the event. As a result, the following services will be diverted: 8, 10, 27, 67, 93, 97, 98, 100, Free Bus 1, 2 & 3, X41, X43 and MT1 tour bus.
Moovit schedules have been updated to reflect these changes so that you can plan your journey to and from the event with Moovit!
No tickets are necessary, but the Deansgate site has a limited capacity and access will be restricted as it fills up.
Security checks will be in place on the gates and fans are advised not to bring bags, which will delay admission. Alcohol is not allowed at the event.
The line-up includes Becky Hill, best known for her collaborations with acts including Sigala, Rudimental and Wilkinson; YouTube sensation and former CBBC presenter HRVY and X Factor girl group Four of Diamonds.
The city’s Christmas pantos and stage shows will be there too, including performers from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and Gypsy. The Grinch will be in attendance along with the cast of Dr Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas from The Lowry.
There’ll also be performances from the wives of Henry the Eighth, from the cast of The Lowry’s SIX, and the Dance Academy.
Hits Radio breakfast presenters Fleur East, Greg Burns and James Barr will host the show, which the council stages in partnership with the station. The evening will finish as always with a huge firework display.
Tuesday 12 November to Friday 15 November
- Victoria Street (from Cateaton Street) will be closed from 7am on Tuesday 12 November to 7am on Friday 15 November.
Thursday 14 November
- From 7am to 11pm: Cateaton Street will be closed
- From 3pm to 11pm: Deansgate will be closed from St Mary’s Gate to Victoria Street and Victoria Bridge Street will be closed.
- From 6pm to 10pm: Deansgate from John Dalton Street to St Mary’s Gate, St Mary’s Gate from Cross Street to Deansgate and Blackfriars Street from Parsonage to Deansgate will all be closed.
- From 8pm to 9pm: Victoria Street from Hunts Bank to Chapel Street and Chapel Street from Blackfriars Street to Victoria Street will both be closed.