Free travel during Anzac Day commemoration activities
Veterans and War Widows can travel for free on Victoria’s public transport network from Sunday 23 April to Tuesday 25 April 2023, to help them attend Anzac Day commemoration activities.
Free travel is also extended to Australian Defence Force members, Scouts and Guides and school students on Anzac Day, Tuesday 25 April.
Veterans and War Widows simply need to travel with one of the below forms of identification:
- Wear their uniform
- Wear their service medals
- Wear an ex-service association or returned from active service or war widows badge
- Present their DVA Gold or White card
- Present their Category “V’’ Victorian Public Transport Concession Card
Veterans and war widows travelling with one of the above forms of identification on these days do not need to carry a valid ticket.
Australian Defence Force members, Scouts and Guides and school students must wear their uniform on Anzac Day to be eligible for free travel
Travelling to the Anzac Day Dawn Service at the Shrine of Remembrance
The 2023 Shrine Dawn Service will be held from 6am to 6.30am on Tuesday 25 April 2023 at the Shrine of Remembrance.
Customers wishing to attend the 2023 Shrine Dawn Service can do so in the following ways:
- Catch public transport near to the Shrine of Remembrance
- Catch a free PTV shuttle bus from selected RSLs and locations around Melbourne
- Travelling to other Dawn Services throughout Melbourne and Victoria
Public transport near to the Shrine of Remembrance
- To supplement regular services, 15 additional services will operate to assist customers in attending the Shrine Dawn Service, with all services arriving at Flinders Street Station by 5.36am.
- Additional trams will operate on all routes except for Routes 78, 82 and City Circle trams (Route 35) to assist customers attending the Dawn Service and arrive in the city by 5.30am.
- Swanston Street Shuttles will operate on Swanston St/St Kilda Rd corridor from Flinders Lane towards Stop 20 Anzac Station running every 3 minutes (approx.) until 5.32am.
- Prior to the Dawn Service all trams travelling along St Kilda Road will terminate at Stop 20 Anzac Station.
Please note: From 5.45am, no trams will operate along St Kilda Road between Stop 8 Melbourne Central Station and Stop 20 Anzac Station.
Free PTV shuttle bus
- Free buses will run between selected RSLs and the suburbs to the Shrine of Remembrance for the Dawn Service on Tuesday 25 April 2023. This service is available to all members of the public.
- All buses will arrive at the Shrine by 5.45am.
- Following the Dawn Service, all buses will depart the Shrine at 7am, 7.15am and 7.30am, from the drop-off location in Birdwood Avenue.