New Train Testing in the Muni Metro Subway
Saturday, July 22, 2017, 7:00 am — Sunday, August 20, 2017, 11:59 pm
- The Muni Metro Subway will shutdown on weeknights and weekends to test the new light rail trains.
- Five new train cars were delivered earlier this year and are being prepped to go into service by the end of this year. Before going into service, the new trains need to go through rigorous testing.
- During Subway closure, a bus bridge will operate between Embarcadero Station and St. Francis Circle, making stops at Subway stations.
- There will still be surface train service outside of the Muni Metro subway.
- Please plan extra travel time when taking Muni during subway closures.
Note: Muni will operate on a normal schedule during the weekend of the Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, August 11-13, 2017.
- Subway Shutdown Schedule
- Transferring Between Surface Trains and Bus Bridge Shuttles
Subway Shutdown Schedule
On weeknights, Monday through Friday, the Muni Metro Subway between West Portal and Montgomery stations will close at 9:30 p.m. The Subway will reopen to regular service the next weekday morning.
- Last trains depart between 9-9:30 p.m.
- A bus bridge between Embarcadero and St. Francis Circle will start at 9 p.m.
On weekends, the Muni Metro Subway between West Portal and Montgomery stations will close all day. The Subway will reopen to regular service Monday morning.
- Last trains depart Friday night between 9-9:30 p.m.
- A bus bridge between Embarcadero to St. Francisco Circle will run throughout the weekend.
- An additional bus bridge will operate between Embarcadero to Church & Duboce.
For certain events, Muni will temporary pause testing to maintain service levels.
- Muni will operate on a normal schedule during the weekend of the Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival, August 11-13, 2017.
- For weeknight Giants games, Muni will operate outbound trains from the ballpark for approximately 90 minutes after the game. For more information on taking Muni to see the Giants, please visit our AT&T Park Destination page.
- On Saturday, July 22, a protest is expected on Market Street that may require the bus bridge vehicles to reroute on to Mission Street.
- On Sunday, July 23, the San Francisco Marathon may cause delays for the bus bridge as the race crosses Market Street. There will be no subway service for the marathon.
Transferring Between Surface Trains and Bus Bridge Shuttles
During Subway closure, Muni Metro will still operate on the surface streets. Read below for more information on transferring between train and shuttle.
Note: indicates the transfer location for people traveling with wheelchairs, scooters, strollers, or other wheeled devices/mobility aids.