With Autumn in sight Moovit can help you get anywhere you need!
Your health and safety is MTA’s top priority, and the MTA’s subways, buses, and commuter railroads are cleaner than ever. If you haven’t ridden with us in a while, we’ve launched some new initiatives — from systemwide contactless payment through OMNY to deals on Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North — that will make your return to transit easier, faster, and better.
Haven’t ridden with MTA in a while? Here are some helpful transit tips
- Masks are still required on board all subways, buses, and commuter rail, as well as inside stations. If you don’t have a mask, you can ask a station agent for one. And remember: If you don’t wear one, you may get a $50 fine.
- If it’s been a while since you bought a MetroCard, don’t worry: OMNY, our contactless fare payment service, is now available in all subway stations and on board all buses. It’s never been easier to tap and go — learn more about how to use it.
- The old etiquette rules still apply: Let others exit a subway or bus before you board; don’t block seats or aisles; and be courteous to your fellow riders.
- Off-peak fares are still in effect on all Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North trains.
- You no longer need a permit to bring your bike on LIRR or Metro-North trains. See more details.
- If you have a problem, there are more ways than ever to get help: We’re available on WhatsApp, Twitter, Facebook, and iMessage. You can also call us or email us. Long Island Rail Road customers can get help in the LIRR Train Time app.
Get out of town this fall with Autumn Weekends
As a thank you to MTA’s customers — and to get those who’ve been missing the trains back on board — Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad are offering plenty of deals and discounts for riders this fall.
Building off the Summer Saturdays program, the railroads are jointly announcing the start of Autumn Weekends, which provides riders an affordable way to get out of the house, out of their cars, and onto the train for weekend trips.
From September 11 to November 21, monthly LIRR and Metro-North tickets will be honored system-wide on weekends, valid for travel to all stations and fare zones. Monthly ticket holders will also be able to bring four additional riders with them for only $1 per person.
Note: Tickets will not be cross-honored between the railroads; LIRR customers cannot use their monthly tickets to travel on Metro-North, and vice versa.
Off-peak fares remain in effect on LIRR and Metro-North through December 31. Customers using single-ride trips and 10-trip tickets can benefit from savings up to 28% and 39%, respectively, depending on distance traveled.
Want to get out of town? Check out these suggested MTA day trip itineraries, packages and deals.