Metro is the fastest, most convenient way to get to Today’s festivities on the National Mall or any of the other great events around the National Capital Region. Here is an overview of rail and bus service on the holiday, as well as some important travel tips for riders:
HOURS & SERVICE
- Metrorail: Open 7 a.m. until midnight. Trains will run on a Saturday schedule until about 2 p.m., and then gradually ramp up to near rush-hour service levels before and after the fireworks. Due to large crowds, bicycles and large coolers are not permitted.
- Silver Line: Trains will operate between Wiehle-Reston East and Stadium-Armory for the entire service day. Passengers traveling to/from stations east of Stadium-Armory will need to use a Blue Line train to complete their trip.
- Yellow Line: Trains will operate between Huntington and Mt. Vernon Square only. Passengers traveling to/from stations north of Mt. Vernon Square should use a Green Line train to complete their trip.
- Parking: Free at all Metro-operated facilities.
- Fares: Off-Peak fares will be in effect all day.
- Metrobus: Saturday schedule. Expect detours around the National Mall.
TRAVELING TO THE NATIONAL MALL
This year, Smithsonian station will be open all day, however, the mall entrance will become ENTRANCE ONLY after 9:30 p.m. The Independence Avenue entrance will be available for both entry and exit throughout the entire day.