Coronavirus – COVID-19
Some restrictions have eased in line with Victoria’s roadmap to reopening. The Second Step of eased restrictions for metropolitan Melbourne began on Monday 28 September.
When you leave home for a permitted reason, you must use a face mask, unless you have a lawful reason for not doing so. Please ensure you wear this for your entire journey and practise good hygiene. If you’re unwell, stay home and get tested, even if you have the mildest of symptoms.
Major works this spring
As part of Victoria’s Big Build, major works will take place in spring to remove some of Melbourne’s most dangerous and congested level crossings, while works will also continue on the Sunbury Line Upgrade, Metro Tunnel and West Gate Tunnel Project.
There may be some disruptions to the public transport network while these major works are completed.
Melbourne Cup Public Holiday
On Tuesday 3 November, public transport services will operate to a Saturday timetable, but some services may be altered or will not run. Plan ahead before you travel.
Alamein, Belgrave and Lilydale lines
- Buses replace trains between Burnley and Box Hill/Alamein stations from 8pm to last train on Sunday 1 November, while works take place.
- Buses replace trains between Burnley and Box Hill, Camberwell and Alamein stations from 8pm to last train on Wednesday 4 November, while works take place.
Belgrave and Lilydale lines
- Buses replace trains between Camberwell and Ringwood Station on the Belgrave/Lilydale line from 8.40pm to last train each night from Sunday 8 November to Wednesday 11 November, due to works.
Belgrave, Glen Waverley and Lilydale lines
- Trains on the Belgrave and Lilydale lines will run direct to and from Burnley Station, and trains on the Glen Waverley Line will run direct to and from Flinders Street, not via the City Loop, from 11pm to last train on Thursday 29 October.
Craigieburn, Sunbury and Upfield
- Trains on the Craigieburn, Sunbury and Upfield lines will run direct to and from Flinders Street, not via the City Loop from 11pm to last train on Thursday 29 October.
- Due to project works, buses replace trains between Epping and Mernda from
- 50pm to last train on Thursday 29 October
- 50pm to last train each night from Sunday 1 November to Thursday 5 November
- Due to project works, buses replace trains between Dandenong and Pakenham from:
- 30pm to last train on Thursday 29 October
- 30pm Friday 30 October to 6.50am Saturday 31 October
- 40pm Saturday 31 October to 6.40am Sunday 1 November
- 40pm to last train on Sunday 1 November
- Trains run direct to and from Caulfield Station on the Pakenham Line from 11pm to last train on Thursday 29 October, due to works.
- Buses replace trains between Dandenong and Pakenham from 8.30pm to last train on Sunday 8 November.
- Trains on the Sandringham Line will run direct to and from Flinders Street Station, not via the City Loop from 8am to 9pm on Saturday 31 October, Tuesday 3 November and Saturday 7 November.
- Flagstaff/North Melbourne and Sunbury station from 8.30pm Friday 6 November to last train Monday 16 November.
- Buses replace trains between North Melbourne and Upfield from Monday 26 October to Sunday 1 November.
- There will also be some changes to local bus stops, car park closures and road closures in the area.
- Due to project works, buses replace trains between Newport and Werribee from:
- 25pm to last train on Thursday 29 October
- 25pm Friday 30 October to 6.10am Saturday 31 October
- 30pm Saturday 31 October to 6.10am Sunday 1 November
- Buses replace trains between Laverton and Newport from 8.30pm Sunday 8 November to last train Monday 9 November.
Werribee and Williamstown lines
- North Melbourne and Newport/Williamstown from:
- 30pm Friday 6 November to 4.30am Saturday 7 November
- 30pm Saturday 7 November to 4.30am Sunday 8 November
Routes 12 and 30
- Route 12 and 30 trams will experience changes to tram services from first service Monday 13 July to last service Saturday 7 November.
Routes 19 and 58
- Route 19 and 58 trams may experience higher than usual demand from 8.30pm on Monday 27 July to last tram on Sunday 1 November, due to level crossing removal works on the Upfield line.
Routes 48 and 75
- Buses partially replace Route 48 and 75 trams, diverting around tram track and overhead renewal works taking place on Wellington Parade from 10pm Sunday 25 October to last tram Sunday 1 November.
- Buses partially replace Route 58 trams, diverting around tram track and overhead renewal works taking place in Royal Park from 9pm to last tram each night, Sunday 1 November to Thursday 5 November.
Victorian and New South Wales border closure
- New South Wales and South Australia have temporarily closed their borders to Victoria. If you need to enter either state for essential purposes, you need to apply for a permit or pre-approval before travelling. There are changes to public transport services at the borders.
- Coaches replace Bendigo, Echuca and Swan Hill trains for the whole journey from the evening of Friday 6 November to Saturday 21 November, due to the Metro Tunnel Project, Sunbury Line Upgrade Project and V/Line maintenance works.
- Coaches replace some evening trains on the Geelong line from Saturday 31 October to Tuesday 3 November, due signal and track maintenance.
- Coaches replace some trains for all or part of the journey on the Geelong and Warrnambool lines from 10pm on the evening of Friday 6 November to Sunday 8 November due to works.